Current:Home > NewsU.S. pauses UNRWA funding as U.N. agency probes Israel's claim that staffers participated in Oct. 7 Hamas attack -EliteFunds
U.S. pauses UNRWA funding as U.N. agency probes Israel's claim that staffers participated in Oct. 7 Hamas attack
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:58:09
The United States government said Friday that it was temporarily pausing additional funding for UNRWA, the United Nations humanitarian agency that serves Palestinians, as the organization said it had opened an investigation into allegations from Israel that some of its staff members participated in Hamas' Oct. 7 attack.
On Oct. 7, Hamas militants, designated a terrorist organization by Israel, the U.S. and the European Union, killed around 1,200 people in Israel and kidnapped about 240 others, according to Israeli officials.
UNRWA said it had fired the employees who were accused.
"The Israeli authorities have provided UNRWA with information about the alleged involvement of several UNRWA employees in the horrific attacks on Israel on October 7," Philippe Lazzarini, UNRWA Commissioner-General, said in a statement Friday, according to the Reuters news agency. "To protect the agency's ability to deliver humanitarian assistance, I have taken the decision to immediately terminate the contracts of these staff members and launch an investigation in order to establish the truth without delay."
Lazzarini did not say how many UNRWA employees were accused of participating in the attack, but said "any UNRWA employee who was involved in acts of terror" would be held accountable, and possibly face criminal prosecution. 30,000 people work for UNWRA, according to its website. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said 12 UNRWA employees had been accused of participating in the Oct. 7 attack.
Stéphane Dujarric, spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said in a social media post that Guterres had been briefed by Lazzarini on the "extremely serious allegations" against the UNRWA staff and that he was "horrified by this news and has asked Mr. Lazzarini to investigate this matter swiftly."
The U.N. chief had urged the termination of the staffers and a referral for criminal prosecution of any UNRWA employees found to have participated in the attack.
The United States, the largest funder of UNRWA, announced that it would temporarily pause further funding for the agency "while we review these allegations and the steps the United Nations is taking to address them."
State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement that the U.S. was "extremely troubled" by the allegations and had reached out to the Israeli government about them. He said members of Congress had been briefed.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Guterres Thursday to discuss the allegations and told him "there must be complete accountability for anyone who participated in the heinous attacks," according to Miller's statement.
The U.S. has put its aid for UNRWA on hold previously, under former President Trump in 2018, and the agency has long been accused by Israel of turning a blind eye to Hamas activities in Gaza.
The Biden administration resumed the U.S. funding in 2021, and is now asking Congress for an additional aid package for Israel and the Palestinians.
CBS News' Margaret Brennan, Olivia Gazis and Camila Schick in Washington contributed to this report.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- United Nations
- Gaza Strip
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (25)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas Weighs In On MyKayla Skinner’s Team USA Comments
- Which Las Vegas Hotel Fits Your Vibe? We've Got You Covered for Every Kind of Trip
- What JD Vance has said about U.S. foreign policy amid the war in Ukraine
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Prime Day Is Almost Over: You’re Running Out of Time To Get $167 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth for $52
- Chicago Sky trade Marina Mabrey to Connecticut Sun for two players, draft picks
- Video shows Wisconsin police dramatically chase suspects attempting to flee in a U-Haul
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Parent Trap's Lindsay Lohan Reunites With Real-Life Hallie 26 Years Later
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Tom Sandoval sues Ariana Madix for invasion of privacy amid Rachel Leviss lawsuit
- Jury tries again for a verdict in Detroit synagogue leader’s murder
- Too soon for comedy? After attempted assassination of Trump, US politics feel anything but funny
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Montana Is a Frontier for Deep Carbon Storage, and the Controversies Surrounding the Potential Climate Solution
- John Deere drops diversity initiatives, pledges to no longer join 'social or cultural awareness parades'
- U.S. Secret Service director agrees to testify to House lawmakers after Trump assassination attempt
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Pedro Hill: What is cryptocurrency
Stegosaurus sells for almost $45 million at Sotheby's auction, the most for any dinosaur fossil
Don't believe Texas is ready for the SEC? Nick Saban does. So should you.
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
President Joe Biden tests positive for COVID-19 while campaigning in Las Vegas, has ‘mild symptoms’
FACT FOCUS: Trump, in Republican convention video, alludes to false claim 2020 election was stolen
Chanel West Coast Reveals Why She Really Left Ridiculousness