Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -EliteFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 01:44:08
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3925)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- Jim Leach, former US representative from Iowa, dies at 82
- Wisconsin kayaker who faked his death and fled to Eastern Europe is in custody, online records show
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
- Our 12 favorites moments of 2024
- 'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- The Sundance Film Festival unveils its lineup including Jennifer Lopez, Questlove and more
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Luigi Mangione's Lawyer Speaks Out in UnitedHealthcare CEO Murder Case
- Mega Millions winning numbers for Tuesday, Dec. 10 drawing: $619 million lottery jackpot
- KISS OF LIFE reflects on sold
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- One Tech Tip: How to protect your communications through encryption
- Through 'The Loss Mother's Stone,' mothers share their grief from losing a child to stillbirth
- Billboard Music Awards 2024: Complete winners list, including Taylor Swift's historic night
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
'Mary': How to stream, what biblical experts think about Netflix's new coming
The Voice Season 26 Crowns a New Winner
Morgan Wallen sentenced after pleading guilty in Nashville chair
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
See Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon's Twins Monroe and Moroccan Gift Her Flowers Onstage
American who says he crossed into Syria on foot is freed after 7 months in detention
Beyoncé takes home first award in country music category at 2024 Billboard Music Awards