Current:Home > reviewsPennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences -EliteFunds
Pennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:35:48
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania’s high court will consider whether some automatic life sentences for those convicted of murder violate constitutional protections for defendants, the justices said Friday.
The appeal being pursued by Derek Lee, convicted of a 2014 killing, argues the state’s life-without-parole law violates prohibitions in the Pennsylvania and U.S. constitutions against cruel punishment.
In the order accepting the appeal, the Supreme Court said it would focus on the constitutionality of the mandatory life sentence in Lee’s case, where he argues he “did not kill or intend to kill and therefore had categorically-diminished culpability.”
Pennsylvania law makes someone liable for murder if they participate in a felony that leads to death, and life with no possibility of parole is currently the state’s only possible sentence for those convicted of second-degree murder.
Advocates say there are about 5,200 people in Pennsylvania currently serving what they call “death by incarceration” sentences, the highest per capita rate among states. The policy affects Black men disproportionately, as about 70% of those serving life-without-parole in Pennsylvania are Black.
Quinn Cozzens, a lawyer for Lee with the Abolitionist Law Center, said he believes if the high court sides with Lee, that could apply to all others convicted of second-degree murder.
“The only issue that we’re appealing from trial is the sentence itself, so not the conviction,” Cozzens said. “So even on the theory that the state’s proved its case entirely and everything’s entirely true, that sentence is still excessive and doesn’t reflect the culpability of somebody convicted of felony murder.”
Kelly Callihan, executive director of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, said the case will be reviewed by the association’s appeals committee to determine next steps.
A summary of the facts of the October 2014 killing written by the Allegheny County trial judge said Lee and another man, both armed and with their faces partially concealed, forced the home’s two adult residents to kneel while they yelled at victim Leonard Butler to give them money. One assailant used a stun gun.
One of them pistol-whipped the 44-year-old Butler in the face, took his watch and ran up the stairs, the judge said.
“The second male remained with the couple and when Butler began to struggle with him over the gun, a shot was fired killing Butler,” the judge wrote.
Investigators linked Lee to the crime because a rental vehicle in his name had been parked outside around the time of the killing, and because the other adult resident of the home identified him out of a photo lineup, saying Lee was not the shooter, the judge recounted.
Lee and codefendant Paul Durham were both convicted by a jury of second-degree murder, robbery and conspiracy.
In a June ruling, the Pennsylvania Superior Court cited decisions in previous, similar appeals as it turned down Lee’s claim that life-without-parole violates his constitutional rights.
But in a concurring opinion, Superior Court Judge Alice Beck Dubow urged the higher court to revisit the matter “in light of changes in related case law from other states and research and policy concerns regarding the criminal justice system.”
.
veryGood! (83)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Watch this unsuspecting second grader introduce her Army mom as a special guest
- The Race Is On to Make Low-Emissions Steel. Meet One of the Companies Vying for the Lead.
- Halle Berry Reveals She Had “Rocky Start” Working With Angelina Jolie
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- AP PHOTOS: In 2023, calamities of war and disaster were unleashed again on an unsettled Middle East
- Biden urges Congress to pass Ukraine funding now: This cannot wait
- Texas judge to consider pregnant woman’s request for order allowing her to have an abortion
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Filings for jobless claims tick up modestly, continuing claims fall
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Democracy activist Agnes Chow says she still feels under the Hong Kong police’s watch in Canada
- Twitch says it’s withdrawing from the South Korean market over expensive network fees
- SAG-AFTRA members approve labor deal with Hollywood studios
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- New lawsuit accuses Diddy, former Bad Boy president Harve Pierre of gang rape
- Not just the Supreme Court: Ethics troubles plague state high courts, too
- Tearful Adele Proves Partner Rich Paul Is Her One and Only
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Mexico focuses on looking for people falsely listed as missing, ignores thousands of disappeared
Lawsuit accuses Sean Combs, 2 others of raping 17-year-old girl in 2003; Combs denies allegations
New director gets final approval to lead Ohio’s revamped education department
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Her alcoholic father died and missed her wedding. She forgives him anyway.
Filings for jobless claims tick up modestly, continuing claims fall
Senators tackle gun violence anew while Feinstein’s ban on assault weapons fades into history