Current:Home > MyElon Musk restores X account of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones -EliteFunds
Elon Musk restores X account of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:35:48
Elon Musk has restored the X account of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, pointing to a poll on the social media platform formerly known as Twitter that came out in favor of the Infowars host who repeatedly called the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting a hoax.
It poses new uncertainty for advertisers, who have fled X over concerns about hate speech appearing alongside their ads, and is the latest divisive public personality to get back their banned account.
Musk posted a poll on Saturday asking if Jones should be reinstated, with the results showing 70% of those who responded in favor. Early Sunday, Musk tweeted, "The people have spoken and so it shall be."
A few hours later, Jones' posts were visible again — the last one from 2018, when the company permanently banned him and his Infowars show for abusive behavior.
Musk, who has described himself as a free speech absolutist, said the move was about protecting those rights. In response to a user who posted that "permanent account bans are antithetical to free speech," Musk wrote, "I find it hard to disagree with this point."
The billionaire Tesla CEO also tweeted it's likely that Community Notes — X's crowd-sourced fact-checking service — "will respond rapidly to any AJ post that needs correction."
It is a major turnaround for Musk, who previously said he wouldn't let Jones back on the platform despite repeated calls to do so. Last year, Musk pointed to the death of his first-born child and tweeted, "I have no mercy for anyone who would use the deaths of children for gain, politics or fame."
Jones repeatedly has said on his show that the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed 20 children and six educators never happened and was staged in an effort to tighten gun laws.
Relatives of many of the victims sued Jones in Connecticut and Texas, winning nearly $1.5 billion in judgments against him. In October, a judge ruled that Jones could not use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying more than $1.1 billon of that debt.
Relatives of the school shooting victims testified at the trials about being harassed and threatened by Jones' believers, who sent threats and even confronted the grieving families in person, accusing them of being "crisis actors" whose children never existed.
Jones is appealing the judgments, saying he didn't get fair trials and his speech was protected by the First Amendment.
Restoring Jones' account comes as Musk has seen a slew of big brands, including Disney and IBM, stop advertising on X after a report by liberal advocacy group Media Matters said ads were appearing alongside pro-Nazi content and white nationalist posts.
They also were scared away after Musk himself endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory in response to a post on X. The Tesla CEO later apologized and visited Israel, where he toured a kibbutz attacked by Hamas militants and held talks with top Israeli leaders.
But he also has said advertisers are engaging in "blackmail" and, using a profanity, essentially told them to go away.
"Don't advertise," Musk said in an on-stage interview late last month at The New York Times DealBook Summit.
After buying Twitter last year, Musk said he was granting "amnesty" for suspended accounts and has since reinstated former President Donald Trump, Kanye West following multiple bans over antisemitic posts and far-right Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who was kicked off the platform for violating its COVID-19 misinformation policies.
Trump, who was banned for encouraging the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection, has his own social media site, Truth Social, and has only tweeted once since being allowed back on X.
veryGood! (31)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 'Wheel of Fortune' contestant makes viral mistake: 'Treat yourself a round of sausage'
- Pistons' Tim Hardaway Jr. leaves in wheelchair after banging head on court
- Oprah Winfrey Addresses Claim She Was Paid $1 Million by Kamala Harris' Campaign
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Oprah Winfrey denies being paid $1M for Kamala Harris rally: 'I was not paid a dime'
- Joey Graziadei Details Why Kelsey Anderson Took a Break From Social Media
- Controversial comedian Shane Gillis announces his 'biggest tour yet'
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Chris Evans Shares Thoughts on Starting a Family With Wife Alba Baptista
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Why Kathy Bates Decided Against Reconstruction Surgery After Double Mastectomy for Breast Cancer
- Ben Foster Files for Divorce From Laura Prepon After 6 Years of Marriage
- Travis Kelce's and Patrick Mahomes' Kansas City Houses Burglarized
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Hurricane-damaged Tropicana Field can be fixed for about $55M in time for 2026 season, per report
- 13 escaped monkeys still on the loose in South Carolina after 30 were recaptured
- Shawn Mendes quest for self-discovery is a quiet triumph: Best songs on 'Shawn' album
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
How to Build Your Target Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Budget-Friendly Must-Haves for Effortless Style
Roy Haynes, Grammy-winning jazz drummer, dies at 99: Reports
Mike Tyson impresses crowd during workout ahead of Jake Paul fight
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Judge sets April trial date for Sarah Palin’s libel claim against The New York Times
Pennsylvania House Republicans pick new floor leader after failing to regain majority
Will the NBA Cup become a treasured tradition? League hopes so, but it’s too soon to tell