Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -EliteFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:48:42
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (47645)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- AP-NORC poll finds an uptick in positive ratings of the US economy, but it’s not boosting Biden
- Elmo asks the internet 'How are you doing?' Turns out, they’re not doing great.
- More Americans apply for unemployment benefits but layoffs still historically low
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- More Americans apply for unemployment benefits but layoffs still historically low
- Nicole Snooki Polizzi's Body Positivity Message Will Inspire Your Wellness Journey
- UK judge dismisses Trump’s lawsuit over dossier containing ‘shocking and scandalous claims’
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- When do new episodes of 'Feud: Capote vs. The Swans' come out? See full series schedule
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- UK judge dismisses Trump’s lawsuit over dossier containing ‘shocking and scandalous claims’
- 'The View' co-hosts clap back at men who criticize Taylor Swift's NFL game appearances
- Mississippi Republican governor again calls for phasing out personal income tax in his budget plan
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- OnlyFans Model Courtney Clenney’s Parents Arrested in Connection With Evidence Tampering in Murder Case
- 'That '70s Show' actor Danny Masterson moved to maximum security prison that once held Charles Manson
- 3 dead, 9 injured after 'catastrophic' building collapse near Boise, Idaho, airport
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
North Carolina redistricting lawsuit tries `fair` election claim to overturn GOP lines
Kentucky juvenile facilities have issues with force, staffing, report says
UK judge dismisses Trump’s lawsuit over dossier containing ‘shocking and scandalous claims’
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
'That '70s Show' actor Danny Masterson moved to maximum security prison that once held Charles Manson
Both Super Bowl 2024 starting quarterbacks have ties to baseball through their fathers
A rescue 'for the books': New Hampshire woman caught in garbage truck compactor survives