Current:Home > StocksBenjamin Ashford|French actor Gerard Depardieu should face trial over rape allegations, prosecutors say -EliteFunds
Benjamin Ashford|French actor Gerard Depardieu should face trial over rape allegations, prosecutors say
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:42:39
French actor Gérard Depardieu should face trial in a criminal court for allegedly raping and Benjamin Ashfordassaulting a young actress in 2018, the Paris prosecutor's office said on Thursday.
The prosecutor's offices confirmed to USA TODAY in an emailed statement on Thursday that its office requested Depardieu, 75, be tried for rape by digital penetration and sexual assault in a French criminal court.
Depardieu, one of France's top movie stars, has denied any wrongdoing in the case. Contacted by Reuters on Thursday, his lawyers were not immediately available for comment.
Actress Charlotte Arnould, then 22, alleges Depardieu assaulted her at his Paris home on Aug. 7 and 13, 2018.
Gerard Depardieu:Over 50 French stars defend actor with essay amid sexual misconduct claims
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
She filed a first complaint in 2018, saying Depardieu raped her at his Paris home. She lodged a new complaint in 2020 after the first proceedings were dropped. The case was "closed on the grounds that the facts appeared to be insufficiently characterized," the prosecutor's office said in the statement, originally written in French. "After re-examining the procedure," a new case was opened.
The Paris prosecutor's office said it had requested a trial in a final indictment on Aug. 14. It is now up to an investigating judge to decide whether this will take place. Depardieu was first indicted in December 2020 for rape and sexual assault.
Emmanuel Macron saysGérard Depardieu 'makes France proud' amid sexual misconduct claims
Depardieu has been at the center of more than a dozen sexual assault allegations in recent years that have tarnished his legacy and exposed broader divisions about sexual conduct in France. He has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
The actor will be tried in October for alleged sexual assaults against two women during a 2021 film shoot for the 2022 movie "The Green Shutters." He has denied the charges.
A complaint had been filed in January by a woman alleging sexual assaults during the shooting of the 2015 short film "The Magician and the Siamese" in 2014. The prosecutor's office closed these proceedings "without prosecution" in April, citing France's statute of limitations. In the country, adult victims have six years to bring claims of sexual assault.
Contributing: Juliette Jabkhiro, Reuters; Taijuan Moorman, USA TODAY
veryGood! (343)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Inquiring minds want to know: 'How Does Santa Go Down the Chimney?'
- Pope Francis says he’s doing better but again skips his window appearance facing St. Peter’s Square
- 20 Kick-Ass Secrets About Charlie's Angels Revealed
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Romanian guru suspected of running international sex sect handed preliminary charges with 14 others
- Logan Sargeant, the only American F1 driver, getting another shot in 2024 after tough rookie year
- Federal judge tosses lawsuit alleging environmental racism in St. James Parish
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Tori Spelling and Her Kids Have a Family Night Out at Jingle Ball 2023
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Former Marine pleads guilty to firebombing Planned Parenthood to 'scare' abortion patients
- If you're having a panic attack, TikTokers say this candy may cure it. Experts actually agree.
- Militants open fire at a bus in northern Pakistan, killing 9 people including 2 soldiers
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Why solar-powered canoes could be good for the future of the rainforest
- US military affirms it will end live-fire training in Hawaii’s Makua Valley
- In some neighborhoods in drought-prone Kenya, clean water is scarce. Filters are one solution
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Chinese developer Evergrande risking liquidation if creditors veto its plan for handling huge debts
DeSantis-Newsom debate has sudden end, just after Hannity announces last-minute extension
Phoenix officials reiterate caution when hiking after 3 mountain rescues in 1 day
Sam Taylor
Kiss performs its final concert. But has the band truly reached the 'End of the Road'?
US military affirms it will end live-fire training in Hawaii’s Makua Valley
Florida Republican chairman won’t resign over rape allegation, saying he is innocent